COSC 4P82/5P71 Seminar Schedule and Topics
Seminars are about 20 minutes in length, with a few minutes for questions.
All seminars should be done in groups of 2.
To reserve your time and topic, please send me the title and PDF's of reference material(s)
of your seminar.
Local access to seminar presentations.
- Tuesday March 22 2022
- "Genetic programming with Lamarckian adaption using reinforcement learning for maze solving" (Grant Nike, Arin Yaldizciyan)
- "Reconfigurable acceleration of fitness evaluation in trading strategies" (Aaron Muysson and Jakob Shortell)
- "Genetic programming for medical data classification" (Mehenika Akter, Sarwat Islam Dipanzan)
- Friday March 25 2022
- "Covid outbreak prediction models using GP" (Aidan Larock, Michael Wisniewski)
- "The application of co-evolutionary GP and TD(1) reinforcement learning in large-scale strategy game VCMI"
(James Henry, Erich Woroch)
- "Multi-objective genetic programming for object detection" (Ryan Brandrick, Yage Zhang)
- Tuesday March 29 2022
- "The evolutionary variants of artificial life" (Daniel Sokic, Tennyson Demchuck)
- "GP and drug design" (Karl Grantham, Harman Mangat)
- "GP and automatic program repair" (Yujie Wang, Pranjal Chakraborty)
- Friday April 1 2022
- "Breeding Terrains with Genetic terrain Programming" (Ryan Epp, Henry Tu)
- "Evolving video game behaviour using GP" (Riley VanDonge, Nathan Doan)
- "Evolving card games using GP" (Nick Aksamit, Ethan Gibbons)
- Tuesday April 5 2022
- "GP Approach to Designing Convolutional Neural Networks" (Yue Guan, Wenjie Wang)
- "Converting greyscale images to colour using GP" (Riely Benson, Jon Drover)
- "GP applications in software engineering" (Amirmahdi Tabrizi, Alanna McNulty)
- Friday April 8 2022
- "Genetic programming and co-evolution with exogenous fitness in an artificial life environment" (Tristan Navikevicius)
- "Generating Diverse Opponents with Multiobjective Evolution" (Yathusan Thulasinathan)
- "Evolving Malware with GP to Evade Detection" (James Sargant, Kylee Schram)
Here is a very broad list of research areas to help you find a seminar topic.
Most are too general to be seminar topics, and so you will need to find one
specific research paper or topic within them.
Please run your topic by me before preparing for it.
Also check out the GP Bibliography for GP papers in these and other topic areas.
Please ensure that your topic involves genetic programming
(and not genetic algorithms or other evolutionary algorithm).
- Genetic programming and...
- Niching and speciation
- Diversity search, novelty search.
- Hybrid evolution (eg. memetic algorithms)
- GPs with diploidy, dominance
- Mutation and GP
- Lamarckian evolution
- The Baldwin Effect
- Estimation of Distribution Algorithms (EDA) for GP
- Deep learning and evolution.
- Linear encoding
- Cellular encoding
- Machine language
- Cartesian genetic programming
- Semantic GP
- Bloat control
- Co-evolution and parasites
- Visualization and interfaces
- Landscape analysis
- Tree initialization
- Effects of random number generator quality on GP
- Comparing GP with other paradigms (search, neural networks, ...)
- Advanced training strategies
- Software engineering
- Computer science
- Artificial Life (Alife)
- Evolutionary design
- Scientific and engineering applications
- Computer games
- Art and graphics