COSC 5P74 Evolutionary Computation
| Project Details:
You may propose any topic related to Evolutionary Computation, Swarm Intelligence or Artificial Life.
Project Proposal (last date to submit final proposal is: TBA)
If you don't submit a project proposal by the due date, I will not grade your project since I will not have
approved it. The purpose of the project proposal is:
The project proposal must be at most 1 page long and include the following items:
- to get you started on your project;
- to identify a topic for your project;
- to define the extent and the scope of your project; and
- to receive instructors approval and feedback on the above items.
- One paragraph that summarizes the project aims and objectives
- A Precise description of the learning task and methodology
- Suggested choices for designing the evolutionary system.
- Suggested experimental setup and analysis of results
- References to related material (publications, tools, web sites)
The project presentation will be held at individually agreed dates in early April.
The purpose of the project presentation (student & instructor) is:
The project presentation will be 10 minutes long plus 3-5 minutes for discussion. In your presentation, you are
expected to clearly identify the methodology, experimental setup, and the type of data analysis that you are
- share your project with the instructor;
- receive feedback from the instructor on the progress of your project; and
- make progress on your project.
The final project report (with supporting software) is due on TBA. Late
submissions will not be accepted (except in the case of special circumstances with proper
documentation). Although not always mandatory, the instructor may request a student to make a demo of their implementated system.
Requirements and guidelines:
- The report should be 8 pages long (plus or minus 1 page is acceptable) including references but excluding appendices.
- You must use an ACM or an IEEE article template.
- Raw data, source code, and the user manual should be included as appendices.
- Use of LaTeX for preparing the report is mandatory. (Note: It is your responsibility to learn Latex
if you have not used it before)
- The report should include the following section, as appropriate:
- Background/Related Work
- Conclusion and Future Work
- You should include a number of references
- You must follow the Assignment Guidelines when submitting your report.