COSC 5P71 Seminar Schedule and Topics
Seminars are about 20 to 25 minutes in length, with an additional 5 minutes for questions.
To reserve your time and topic, please send me the title and PDF's of reference material(s)
of your seminar.
Local access to seminar presentations.
- Thursday March 30
- Disease association and GP (Tyler Kennedy Collins)
- Deep Evolution of Image Representations for Handwritten Digit Recognition (Shams Alkhulaif)
- Tuesday April 4
- Genetic Progamming and Bloat Control (Pranab Ghosh)
- Genetic Programming Visualization (Adam Tonet)
- Thursday April 6
- Cartesian Genetic Programming (Mae Leong)
- Meta-Genetic Programming (Fazle Rabbi Tanjil)
Here is a list of very broad research areas to help you find a seminar topic.
Most are too general to be seminar topics, and so you will need to find one
specific research paper or topic within them.
Please run your topic by me before preparing for it.
Also check out the GP Bibliography for GP papers in these and other topic areas.
Please ensure that your topic involves genetic programming
(and not genetic algorithms or other evolutionary algorithm).
- Genetic programming and...
- Niching and speciation
- Hybrid evolution (eg. memetic algorithms)
- GPs with diploidy, dominance
- Mutation and GP
- Lamarckian evolution
- The Baldwin Effect
- Estimation of Distribution Algorithms (EDA) for GP
- Deep learning
- Linear encoding
- Cellular encoding
- Machine language
- Cartesian genetic programming
- Semantic GP
- Bloat control
- Co-evolution and parasites
- Visualization and interfaces
- Landscape analysis
- Tree initialization
- Effects of random number generator quality on GP
- Comparing GP with other paradigms (search, neural networks, ...)
- Advanced training strategies
- Software engineering
- Computer science
- Artificial Life (Alife)
- Evolutionary design
- Scientific and engineering applications
- Computer games
- Art and graphics