COSC 4P98 Seminar Topics
You can choose to do a seminar in any topic in computer media (audio, music, media, interaction,...).
Please check with me regarding the suitability of your topic.
Below is a list of areas in which you can select a seminar topic.
These are very general themes. Your seminar should be much more specific and focussed.
For example, you might give an overview of one particular research paper.
Please email me if you have more ideas that you think are suitable for this list.
- The Csound Book: Each chapter in the book and CD ROM is a great
- synthesis techniques
- topics in digital sampling: real-time processing, compression, ...
- psycho-acoustics: why do people hear what they think they hear?
- physically-based modeling of instruments
- DSP topics
- audio, music and video games
- Arduino, Raspberry pi and audio
- audio and graphics cards (eg. NVidia's CUDA)
- algorithmic composition (eg. fractals)
- artificial intelligence and music: expert systems, genetic algorithms, neural networks...
- music and audio apps: examples, development,...
- formal modeling of music on the computer
- graphics and audio: visualization applications
- new computer-based notation systems for music
- real-time musical accompaniment, beat-detection
- applications combining computer graphics and music
- computer analysis of compositions (plagiarism detection!)
- music and artificial intelligence: analysis, composition, modeling
- User-interfaces: novel computer-based musical instruments
- audio morphing
- pitch shifting and time compression/expansion (real-time?)
- music software, programming languages and environments (other than what was covered
in the lectures)
(eg. Open Music, Pure Date, Nyquist,...)
Useful computer audio/music resources
- Proceedings ICMC (Intl Computer Music Conference)
- Computer Music Journal
- Leonardo Music Journal
- Journal of New Music Research