COSC 3P98 Computer Graphics
Instructor: Brian Ross (bross @ brocku.ca)
Lecture: 9:30-11:00 Wed and Fri, ST 107
Office hours: 11-12 Wed and Fri (or when door open)
TA: Eric Chen (email@example.com)
- Course outline
- Texts (recommended)
Computer Graphics with OpenGL (4e)
by D. Hearn, M.P. Baker, W. Carithers. Prentice Hall, 2010. ISBN: 0136053580.
- OpenGL: A Primer (3e) by Edward Angel. Addison-Wesley, 2007, ISBN 9780321398116.
- OpenGL Programming Guide 9e, OpenGL ARB. Addison-Wesley, 2016, ISBN 9780134495491
- The C Programming Language (2e) by Brian W Kernighan and Dennis M Ritchie. Prentice Hall, 1989, ISBN 0131103628.
- Assignment 1
- Assignment 2
- Assignment 3
- Introductory tutorials on compiling 3P98 programs in lab (Visual Studio)
- Location: J310
- 11:00am Tuesday January 15
- 11:00am Friday January 18
- COSC assignment cover page.
- Old exams.
- Course project
- Essay option due date: TBA
- Please submit essays to Turnitin.com. See email for submission details.
- Animation/programming/ray tracer projects due date: TBA 2019
- Project marking template.
- Supplemental notes on ray tracing: RayTracing.pdf
- Here is an example of formatting for a scientific paper
(abstract, sections, citations, bibliography, etc.):
- Bibliography of books shown in class.
- 2D scan conversion
- Mesh surfaces
- Computational geometry
- 2D and 3D Transformations
- 3D Perspective
- Visible Surface Determination
- Ray Tracing (also see: RayTracing.pdf)
- Misc: hardware, etc.
(lectures below subject to updates/revisions...)
Read the sections that are relevant to lecture material.
Computer Graphics with OpenGL (Hearn, Baker):
- ch. 1
- ch. 2
- ch. 3: skip sections on concave polys, circles, ellipses
- ch. 4: basic colour, line attributes, irregular fill algs
- ch. 6: basic 2D window setup and GLUT library calls
- ch. 11: GLUT I/O details
- ch. 5: 2D and 3D transformations
- ch. 7: 3D viewing: orthogonal and perspective projections
- ch. 9: visible surface determination
- ch. 10: illumination, textures
- ch. 13: animation
OpenGL Primer (E. Angel)
- Chapters: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Assignment programming information
- 3P98 OpenGL examples
- Windows and Linux
- (updated Sept 2016): Tutorial for setting up OpenGL, Glut and Freeimage in our lab (Windows, Linux).
- Tutorial for setting up OpenGL and FreeGlut for C++ programming.
- Example archive:
Zip file of OpenGL examples, FreeImage example, tutorial, and GLUT and
FreeImage DLL's for Windows.
- Run OpenGL programs on Sandcastle remotely on your Windows PC: instructions.
- OpenGL resources
Adding sound to games?
Go to Brock Computer Science home page.